Tuesday, July 28, 2015

How to Keep Coming Up with Ideas, Entrepreneurs



I get a lot of questions about the creative work I do in fashion design and one of the most frequently asked question is: How DO I keep getting ideas and inspiration? Keyword: keep!
Constantly getting new ideas also means constantly earning money (which can add pressure to an entrepreneur). Relying on generating ideas can be exhausting, but for you, I have solutions! Yay for solutions! First, I'm going to start with a brief, but inspiring story. Two months ago, I moved to a new place and in this new place, I wanted to make EVERYTHING new. I wanted to make everything inspiring and idea oriented! I wanted a place I could enjoy being in, all the time!
As you can see in the photo above, this is where a lot of work gets produced. There was a bulletin board I had for quite a few years and I decided to use it as an inspiration board, or, vision board. For a couple of months, I collected more magazines and began pulling images from everywhere; New York Times, Harper's Bazaar, Allure, Elle, Marie Claire; you name it. I wanted the vision board to reflect my personal style and oddly enough, as time passed by, something happened.
I noticed an evident color scheme, shapes and forms in clothing, and an interest in street style as well as formal dresses in these photos. Oddly enough, I noticed a black, white, neutral, and with some color, color scheme going on. These images were collected over time and I realized what kind of a designer I want to be. An inspiration board not only generates loads of ideas (which will benefit you money-wise) it also helps you identify what kind of entrepreneur you want to be, or what kind of artist, or designer, or furniture designer, or whatever the creative field. I am constantly inspired by this wall and therefore am constantly working. It's amazing.
It took a long time for me to realize that I needed to create a more visual, inspiring, and pictorial environment to work in; a space that could allow me to be creative. And, having a studio that doesn't actually look like a work space makes it even MORE inspiring. Ideas=Money in the entrepreneurial world (as you know) and creative blocks can be a set back. So, don't ever get set back and build your work space in a way that constantly keeps ideas flowing. Make an inspiration board. I did it and gosh, every now and then, I update it with more intriguing images that really force me to work in an out-of-the-box kind of way. Having a styled up work space inspires ideas, which in turn, will bring in the money. A work space does NOT need to look like a work space. Hope this post helped you and if you have other ways of generating ideas for entrepreneurs like me, please leave comments and let me know! How do you keep the ideas coming in? Do you have strategies that keeps your creative juices flowing? I will touch on this idea again, so definitely share! 
SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

SHARE YOUR THOUGHTS

© FASHION FIT FUNCTION

This site uses cookies from Google to deliver its services - Click here for information.

Blogger Template Created by pipdig