Wednesday, October 21, 2015

What I Gained Stepping Out of My Comfort Zone

As of recently, I took a big leap out of my comfort zone. Though I love designing dresses, I wanted to design a challenging garment that was both accessible and unique. It took me more than ten days to make the blazer pictured in this post. I probably shouldn't have to tell you, it was HARD!


Stepping outside of your comfort zone, as I'm sure you know, is terrifying. You make a small investment in whatever necessary materials (or use what you've got left, which was my case) and you hope the project turns out. In my pile of fabrics, I found this black silk/wool material that I had for some time and it looked blazer-like. It took two failed attempts to get the design process right, but instead of getting frustrated, I kept trying and trying. The only way to learn is to KEEP trying until you feel it's as good as it can be, and that's what I did with this blazer. Granted, it took many sews and re-sews until I felt the blazer hung right both on the mannequin and a hanger. A blazer has so many components to it from the original outer pattern (the wool fabric) to the inner lining pattern (the black rayon). Basically, adding a liner felt as though I was designing this blazer TWICE in a row. Each pattern piece had to line up perfectly, but with careful pattern cutting and measuring, I nailed it on the third attempt. 
PHOTOGRAPHY BY: PATRICE PROCOPIO              :::            DESIGN BY: TESSA KOLLER

Many pitfalls can happen though when stepping out of your comfort zone and it's how you respond to these pitfalls that make a project a success or a failure. When doing something you don't normally do, pitfalls will happen, regardless. Even in the final product, my third and last attempt, I still was not 100% satisfied with this blazer. Yes, I am happy it has a pretty drape, but I felt that it didn't quite sit on my body right, but came very, very close. I was unsatisfied with the sleeves as it took many re-installations on the sleeves to get them right. The fabric itself was meant to be draped which I payed close attention to. If I create this a fourth time, which I may, I will use a heavier wool or suiting material and a thinner, lighter weight liner. Right now though, I am about 95% satisfied with it; the blazer drapes nicely and the sleeves hang nicely as well, though a struggle. Plus, this blazer is wearable so it will for sure become a staple in my wardrobe and I'm still debating if I'll create some for my online store. I'll keep all of you posted on this. What I gained in designing this however, was more knowledge and expertise in pattern-making and if I designed this again, I'm certain the process would go smoother and I'd take what I learned to perfect this craft. In the entrepreneurial world, it takes many trials and errors to master a craft and I feel that I've mastered this. 

Thanks so much for reading! I hope you enjoyed the post and also like the blazer! Never miss a post and subscribe to keep up to date with my trend-setting designs and upcoming adventures! 
SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

SHARE YOUR THOUGHTS

© FASHION FIT FUNCTION

This site uses cookies from Google to deliver its services - Click here for information.

Blogger Template Created by pipdig